[Molecular-evolution] Quantitating the degree of conservation

Sidney Cambridge via mol-evol%40net.bio.net (by cambridge from ana.uni-heidelberg.de)
Wed Jan 27 10:40:57 EST 2010

Dear all,

I hope my question is not too trivial....
I am looking for a quantitative measure of the degree of genetic
conservation - basically attaching a high value to highly conserved
genes such as histones and low values to genes that are not very
conserved. Ideally there would be a database for all genes of the
mouse or human genome with a 'conservation' value for each gene.

Does something like this exist ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Best,
Sidney

Dr. Sidney Cambridge
University of Heidelberg
Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences
Im Neuenheimer Feld 307/Rm. 420
69120 Heidelberg
Germany
Tel: +49-6221-54-8687

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail ?