Protein structure from scratch?

Arne Elofsson arne at
Fri Aug 5 19:32:49 EST 1994

In article <31udcg$kjf at>, legrand at
(Scott Legrand) writes:
From: legrand at (Scott Legrand)
Newsgroups: bionet.molec-model
Subject: Re: Protein structure from scratch?
Date: 5 Aug 1994 22:10:24 GMT

In article <170097098S86.FJVAND00 at>, FJVAND00 at
(Frank van de Loo) writes:
|> Dear Modelers,
|> This may be laughable, but I need to know.  Can one construct a model
|> structure from scratch?

In principle yes, proteins do it every day.  Unofortunately, we haven't
a really
strong clue to the nuts and bolts as to how they do it, just lots of
clues and some reasonable constraints.

>|> a way, or am I just trying to do something impossible?  All advice greatly
>|> appreciated!
>It's certainly not impossible, just incredibly unlikely at this stage of
>the game...

You haven't seen my last and final potential function.
I had it working yesterday but then I lost it Damn,
another Nobel prize down the sink