Protein structure from scratch?

Floeckner Hannes floeckn at wst.edvz.sbg.ac.at
Thu Aug 11 03:55:01 EST 1994

In article <3287u5$7ki at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, dopearso at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas C Pearson) writes:
<deleted>
|>not to continue to bang on a dead horse, since i'm about the seventh person to
|>respond here, but it's possible.  don't count on earth-shattering accuracy,
|>but you can get a fairly decent educated guess.  somebody mentioned earlier up
|>to a 65% accurate model, i think...i'd say that's a reasonable number.  we're
|>planning on using quanta in our lab to build some homology models of a few
|>proteins we want to do elecrostatic analysis on.  it will be interesting to see

I wonder what you mean with '65% accurate model'. This "percentage correct"
measure is, as far as I know, always used in connection with algorithms for
the prediction of secondary structure (like the EMBL prediction server, xy%
of the residues assigned the correct secondary structure). But these secondary
structure predictions don't give a 3D model of the protein.
By the way, I don't think 65% is a good result.

hannes

(floeckn at wst.edvz.sbg.ac.at)