Protein structure databases?

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at
Sat Aug 27 16:45:26 EST 1994

In <414428490wnr at>, steve at (Steve Gardner) writes:
>In article: <cc37-210894182902 at>  cc37 at (CC) writes:
>> Hi --
>>       Do there exist databases that have information about the secondary
>> structure, active sites, mutations that disrupt function, etc. of
>> evolutionarily conserved proteins?  I am particularly looking for
>The Iditis relational database of protein structure contains over 500 fields of derived
>protein structure data, including secondary structure, active site data, and
>functional motif information.  The database describes the 2000 known proteins completely
>and allows you to identify and compare complex motifs easily. It is designed
>specifically to allow users to ask questions of about potential effects of changes
>made to the structure of a protein in key regions of structure.  Iditis comes out of
>Prof. Janet Thornton's lab at University College London.
>For more information see the review article
>in Chemical Design Automation News (Thornton & Gardner) vol. 8, no. 4 pg. 18.
>Steve Gardner
>steve at

How about info on distribution of this database, or an e-mail address for Dr. Thornton? I'll be
looking for the article, but if I can't find it some addresses will be helpful.

| Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at     |
| Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939           |
| University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321           |
| 2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces  |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya  |