BIOLOGICAL IMAGES NEWSGROUP? [Re: BIOLOGY IMAGES]

J. Monahan jmonahn at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sat Dec 24 18:31:08 EST 1994

It seems to me that this sort of project would be better undertaken by a.)
gathering the images, 2.) Indexing them in a hypertext form, and 3.)
distributing the product on CD-ROM.

3M in Minnesota duplicates CDs in quanities of 50+ for around $2.00 each.

I began a searchable graphical database of human parasites for a
parasitologist here- (at the University of Iowa) A total 0f some 2500 images
of the species, the effected organs, the habitats and conditions that promote
infection etc.  All of this fits on a single CD.

Joe Monahan
jmonahn at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu

In note <15DEC199409303676 at seqvax.caltech.edu>, mathog at seqvax.caltech.edu
(David Mathog) writes:
>In article <3cl0gt$alv at nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, ywchen at laue.biochem.ubc.ca (Y. W.
>>Chen) writes...There are a whole gallery of biologically-related superb
>>graphic imagesetc.
>>

>We don't really need to spray these all over the Internet, do we?  Seems
>like a major waste of bandwidth and disk space.
>
>This isn't to say that biological images aren't valuable, just that a news
>group dedicated to them should probably restrict itself to notices of image
>availability, image content, and some technically related material.  If
>mixed in with that were a steady stream of images it would dilute the
>information content and probably get the newsgroup restricted to a very
>short disk life.
>
>It *would* be nice if there were a definitive Biology Images Web page,
>especially one that had some way to search for images by content, something
>like "list all images of Drosophila wings."
>
>Regards,
>
>David Mathog
>mathog at seqvax.bio.caltech.edu
>Manager, sequence analysis facility, biology division, Caltech

---
Joe Monahan
jmonahn at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu