(fwd) ANalyze THE PROTein (ANTHEPROT) availability

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Thu Jul 14 18:38:37 EST 1994

Please read the bottom of this message for a waarning about installation of the DOS version of
this software!

In <2vb4j3$j7v at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, philstas at vub.ac.be (Stas Philippe) writes:
>Subject: ANalyze THE PROTein (ANTHEPROT) availability
>                               Release 2.0
>                                    by
>                         C. Geourjon & G. Deleage
>
>                Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Proteines
>                            IBCP-CNRS UPR 412
>                     Molecular modeling and NMR group
>                         7, Passage du vercors
>                         69 367 Lyon cedex 07
>                                 France
>                        Tel : (33) 72 72 26 47
>                        Fax : (33) 72 72 26 01
>                       deleage at ibcp.fr, pilote at ibcp.fr
>
>      This is a general annoucement of the availability of ANTHEPROT  to all
>academic  researchers. ANTHEPROT (ANalyze THE PROTeins) is a package to make
>protein sequence analysis such as alignment, secondary structure predictions,
>sites & function detection,  physico-chemical profiles,  homology search and
>3D display of protein structures.   This program is now available either for
>IBM  RISC 6000 workstations  or  IBM PC compatible microcomputers.  The main
>feature  of  ANTHEPROT  is that it is fully interactive  within  a graphical
>interface. No particular knowledge about  computers is  needed and any mole-
>cular biologist is able to use it.
>
>Free for academic users:
>
>IBM-PC & IBM Risc 6000 version:
>Anonymous ftp to ibcp.fr
>
>PC version:
>
>/pub/IBMPC/README
>
>As 3 diskettes located in subdirectories:
>
>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#1
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system    706143 Sep 16 12:51 ANTHE.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system     23222 Sep 09 09:03 BE.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      9045 Sep 09 09:02 INSTALL.BAT
>
>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#2
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff    1365355 Sep 16 12:56 BASE.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      23222 Sep 09 09:05 BE.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff       9045 Sep 09 09:05 INSTALL.BAT
>
>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#3
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff    1365355 Sep 16 12:56 BASE2.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      23222 Sep 09 09:05 BE.EXE
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff       9045 Sep 09 09:05 INSTALL.BAT

>              ANTHEPROT: IBM PC and Apple Macintosh versions.
>              CABIOS, (1989) 5, 159-160
>
>              G. Deleage, FF Clerc, B Roux and DC Gautheron
>              ANTHEPROT: A package for protein sequence analysis using a
>              microcomputer.
>              CABIOS, (1988) 5, 159-160
>   =====================================================================

ALL POTENTIAL USERS - NOTE: THE DOS software is supplied as three compressed, self-extracting
files - ANTHE.EXE, BASE.EXE, and BASE2.EXE. The installation and BE.EXE simply create
nice-looking menus to allow installation from floppies. One ought to be able to decompress
directly in the target directory.

HOWEVER -- these self-extracting files are NOT WELL-BEHAVED DOS *.EXE FILES!!!  When run, they
execute illegal instructions which are caught both by QEMM (in a for-real DOS machine) and by
OS/2 2.1's DOS session. The complete installation package will also not install from floppies.
This does not mean that the programs are defective or contain bugs, but it does mean that they
are definitely NOT standard DOS programs. An regular DOS self-extracting file will unpack just
fine in an OS/2 DOS window or on a real DOS machine with QEMM as the memory manager).

I will try to relay these comments to the authors, so that perhaps the files can be distributed
in a better format (zipped, for example). In the meantime, be warned.

| Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
| Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
| University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
| 2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |