(fwd) ANalyze THE PROTein (ANTHEPROT) availability

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Mon Jul 18 18:39:40 EST 1994

In <1994Jul14.183838.68115 at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu (Peter Gegenheimer) writes:
>Please read the bottom of this message for a waarning about installation of the DOS version of
>this software!
>
>In <2vb4j3$j7v at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, philstas at vub.ac.be (Stas Philippe) writes:
>>Subject: ANalyze THE PROTein (ANTHEPROT) availability
>>                               Release 2.0
>>                                    by
>>                         C. Geourjon & G. Deleage
>>
>>                Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Proteines
>>                            IBCP-CNRS UPR 412
>>                     Molecular modeling and NMR group
>>                         7, Passage du vercors
>>                         69 367 Lyon cedex 07
>>                                 France
>>                        Tel : (33) 72 72 26 47
>>                        Fax : (33) 72 72 26 01
>>                       deleage at ibcp.fr, pilote at ibcp.fr
>>
>>      This is a general annoucement of the availability of ANTHEPROT  to all
>>academic  researchers. ANTHEPROT (ANalyze THE PROTeins) is a package to make
>>protein sequence analysis such as alignment, secondary structure predictions,
>>sites & function detection,  physico-chemical profiles,  homology search and
>>3D display of protein structures.   This program is now available either for
>>IBM  RISC 6000 workstations  or  IBM PC compatible microcomputers.  The main
>>feature  of  ANTHEPROT  is that it is fully interactive  within  a graphical
>>interface. No particular knowledge about  computers is  needed and any mole-
>>cular biologist is able to use it.
>>
>>Free for academic users:
>>
>>IBM-PC & IBM Risc 6000 version:
>>Anonymous ftp to ibcp.fr
>>
>>PC version:
>>
>>/pub/IBMPC/README
>>
>>As 3 diskettes located in subdirectories:
>>
>>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#1
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system    706143 Sep 16 12:51 ANTHE.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system     23222 Sep 09 09:03 BE.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     system      9045 Sep 09 09:02 INSTALL.BAT
>>
>>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#2
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff    1365355 Sep 16 12:56 BASE.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      23222 Sep 09 09:05 BE.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff       9045 Sep 09 09:05 INSTALL.BAT
>>
>>/pub/IBMPC/DISK#3
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff    1365355 Sep 16 12:56 BASE2.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff      23222 Sep 09 09:05 BE.EXE
>>-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff       9045 Sep 09 09:05 INSTALL.BAT

>>              ANTHEPROT: IBM PC and Apple Macintosh versions.
>>              CABIOS, (1989) 5, 159-160
>>
>>              G. Deleage, FF Clerc, B Roux and DC Gautheron
>>              ANTHEPROT: A package for protein sequence analysis using a
>>              microcomputer.
>>              CABIOS, (1988) 5, 159-160
>>   =====================================================================
>
>ALL POTENTIAL USERS - NOTE: THE DOS software is supplied as three compressed, self-extracting
>files - ANTHE.EXE, BASE.EXE, and BASE2.EXE. The installation and BE.EXE simply create
>nice-looking menus to allow installation from floppies. One ought to be able to decompress
>directly in the target directory.

> [...]
 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
 Sorry -- not true! Apparently I had made a bad copy when downloading. Works fine now.

The design of the structure prediction programs is especially nice.  The use of boxes/lines to
highlight regions of helix, sheet, coil, & turn is very helpful.  The ability to scroll through
the plot of a sequence profile and see the residue names highlighted, or find out which
residues start and end a helix (for example), is likewise thoughtful and useful.  I know of no
other package which has this combination of features.

One inconvenience I found is that the program itself, the install.bat file, and the
'default.bas' settings file actually want to have Antheprot installed in 'c:\antheprot\', which
is not a regular DOS path name (DOS truncates it to 'anthepro' and doesn't complain)..  The
program works best if installed in 'c:\anthepro'.  Just copy the the 3 self-extracting files to
that folder and execute them.  (Also, the PDB viewer does not run properly in a DOS session
under OS/2, but that is not an essential feature.)

| Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      |
| Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939            |
| University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321            |
| 2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya   |