Oral availability of drugs...

A. Sheppard mbasd at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 08:50:51 EST 1995

Dear Readers,

I would be grateful for comments, ideas, anecdotes, references etc. on the
following topic:

In the area of drug research, a frequent problem which arises is that of
obtaining oral-availability: it is usually more desirable to have an orally
active compound than one which is active only when injected.

What I want to know is the following:

1  Is it possible to predict whether a compound will be orally active?

2  On observing a compound has little or no oral activity, are there any
   structural modifications which can be used to increase the oral activity
   of the compound?

3  Is it possible to use an adjuvant to increase the absorption of a
   weakly orally active compound?

4  Are there any in vitro test systems which will predict whether a
   compound is orally active? If there are such test systems, are they
   available commercially or have they been devloped in-house?

I will summarise useful information to the net.

Andy Sheppard
Ferring Research Institute
mbasd at seqnet.dl.ac.uk

[crossposted to newsgroups bionet.general, bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts,
 bionet.molec-model and the Computational Chemistry list]