DOES GRAVITY AFFECT PROTEIN FOLDING ?

Mohan Srinivasan smohan at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jan 26 17:53:19 EST 1995

Hi All-

	Can proteins fold in a different way in the absence of
gravity ? I believe that their density changes (compacts) when
spun in ultracentrifuges at high rpm's (high G). So, the reverse
(low G) should be also true. Gravity is one of the forces apart
from the nuclear forces. Does folding depend only on nuclear
forces ?  I am not sure though. Was any study made in this direction
during space experiments ? Could anyone throw some light ?

Mohan Srinivasan Ph.D                            | email: smohan at helix.nih.gov
DCBDC/NCI/Bldg 37 Rm 2B10,NIH,9000 Rockville Pike| phone: 301 496 2202
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA                          | fax  : 301 402 1031