Protein folding problem solved?

murphy kenneth p kpmurphy at
Sat Jun 10 09:47:34 EST 1995

In article <1995Jun10.043411.15159 at>,
Rick Venable <rvenable at> wrote:
>On 9 Jun 1995 11:15:57 -0400 Clifford Beall pontificated:
>> In the June issue of the Johns Hopkins Alumni magazine (I only quote from
>> the most authoritative scientific sources), it is claimed that the protein
>> folding problem has been solved by two Hopkins researchers: Rajgopal
>> Srinivasan and George Rose.  They have developed a computer program known
>> as LINUS that it is claimed can predict the folding of soluble globular
>> proteins.  The pictures that appear with the article are very impressive.
>> It seems like this could be a massive discovery.  Would anyone with
>> knowledge of this work like to comment further?
>Several researchers have made this claim over the last few years, including
>Harold Scheraga, Peter Wolynes, and (as someone has already commented) Ken
>Dill.  I'd call it hyperbole; in most instances these methods can attain

Scherage has certainly made (and still makes) this claim, but I'm quite sure
that Dill has not.  Wolynes I'm not sure of...

Dr. Kenneth P. Murphy				e-mail: k-murphy at
Department of Biochemistry			office: (319)335-8910
University of Iowa				lab:  (319)335-7936
Iowa City, IA 52242            		        FAX:  (319)335-9570