free energy question. Problem with my result!!!!

Thomas Huber huber at rschp1.anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 19 23:24:33 EST 1995

Hi all,

Can anybody help me to answer the following question:
What is the free energy of a particle in a Lennard-Jones like
potential which approaches zero when the coordinate goes to infinity?

My calculations come to the result that the free energy of the system
is zero independent of the choice of the depth of the potential and the
temperature.

But this would mean the free energy of *any* system is the same (equal
zero)!!!

Maybe it's a trivial for you but I really have problems to understand
it and will appreciate any hints, suggestions, pointers to literature,

Thanks,

Thomas.