superimposing molecules

Reece Kimball Hart reece at
Wed Jun 5 15:38:24 EST 1996

GK> I'm looking for software (or an explanation of an efficient algorithm)
GK> that will superimpose molecule A onto molecule B with a combination of
GK> translations and rotations, and using a minimal rms deviation as the
GK> convergence criterion.

I don't know the details well, but the reference below is for the quaternion
method used by tinker (  It's implemented
in quatfit.f therein.

S. J. Kearsley, "An Algorithm for the Simultaneous Superposition of a
Structural Series", Journal of Computational Chemistry, 11, 1187-1192 (1990)
Reece Kimball Hart                  | email: reece at
Biophysics & Biochemistry, Box 8231 | WWW:
Washington Univ. School of Medicine | Phone: (314) 362-4198 (lab)  -7183 (fax)
St. Louis, Missouri  63110    (USA) | PGP public key available by finger & WWW