3-D to 2-D conversion of PDB files

Greg Brown gregb at amgen.com
Fri May 17 17:44:20 EST 1996

I am looking for a program that will convert a 3-D structure into a
comprehensible 2-D representation.  Many times a researcher can grasp a
structure/function relationship more easily from a simplified 2-D
drawing rather than a 3-D model that is printed out in 2-D paper.  I am
familiar with ligplot/hbplot and also with the recent paper by Barlow
and Richards in J. Mol Graphics.  Ligplot is too narrow in scope
(generally just small regions of interactions are presented) and the
non-linear mapping technique leaves many practical questions unanswered
(like how do I do it!?).  Any suggestions would be welcome, public
domain or commercial programs.  Thanks.

--
Gregory S. Brown
Molecular Structure/Protein Chemistry