Molecular modeling 101 text ?

B Lauder R.Lauder at
Wed Oct 23 03:16:31 EST 1996

I wonder if anybody could point me in the direction of some general texts
or good reviews which will help get me up to speed on molecular

I am a Biochemist who has drifted into structural work - I'm presently
involved in the isolation and characterisation of carbohydrates and an
examination of their function.

I'm interested in examining the 3D structure of my carbohydrates, which
will have a bearing upon their function, or their ability to interact with
other molecules.

If I get enought of a carbohydrate I examine it by NMR, and I'm wanting
to do some NMR experiments to determine some intra-molecular
distances - feed this into my package and hope to get an idea of what the
molecule actually looks like. This is not a problem - my collueague has the
NMR side of things sorted and we have access to a modeling package.

The problem is that I am very aware of my lack of knowledge in this area
and feel that I need to do quite a bit of (basic) background reading to get
into the subject.

I hope that the information here will enable somebody to point me to a
good text or two.

Thanks very much

Bob Lauder
Biological Sciences, Lancaster University, UK #
R.Lauder at