Need help on hardware

Stuart Priest priest at yorvic.york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 08:52:03 EST 1997

Panapat Uawithya wrote:

>  Hello,
>    we are going to buy a silicon graphic machine for molecular modeling of
> protein. Do we require a multiple-processor one or just a hi-end of the
> indego2 in this work?
>
>    \ /    E-mail address u3601087 at mucc.mahidol.ac.th

It depends how much money you've got and what exactly you want to do.
If you just want reasonable graphics then a 128 Mb O2 with a 180 MHz
R5000PC will do fine.  But if you want faster graphics then'll you'll
need to go for an Indigo^2 Impact system.  If you want to do alot of
dynamics simulations using programs such as CHARMM, then a
multi-processor machine with a good graphics end would be better (like a
dual processor octane).

Stu
--
Stuart Priest, Computer Manager
Protein Structure Group, University of York, UK  Tel. 44 1904 432592
InPerson  : priest at heffalump.chem.york.ac.uk