HELP - Hydration of Single Amino Acids

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:34:46 EST 1997

Hello,

Can anyone either tell me or point me at some references for the degree
of hydration ( i.e., number of waters and energy of hydration ) of
*single* amino acids in physiological solutions (i.e., about 150 mM NaCl,
3 mM KCl, 1 mM CaCl2, 1 mM MgCl2, etc...)?

I've seen old papers using Monte Carlo methods to model hydration of
glycine zwitterion by David Beveridge, but are there others as well? Or
any direct measurements? The amino acids I'm particularly interested in
are the amino acid neurotransmitters glutamate, glycine, beta-alanine,
taurine, gamma-aminobutyric acid, etc..., but any old amino acid
references would be very useful too.

Thanks,

Matt Jones