molecular modeling on linux

Olgun Guvench og32 at columbia.edu
Sun Jun 21 16:44:24 EST 1998

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

> I've just heard (though havn't confirmed myself) that the free OpenGL
> compatible library, Mesa, now has direct hardware support for Voodoo 3D
> graphics cards. This apparently works VERY well....

Do you know if this can be done in an X terminal?  This could be quite
useful if it can...

> Many of the problems with Alpha Linux maths libraries were ironed out
> for the Titanic. Animation for this movie was done on 160 Alpha, over
> 100 of which were running Linux (the rest NT). Take a look at the
> February 1998 issue of Linux Journal (www.linuxjournal.com)

In the article, the problem they mention is a problem with the kernel, not
with the math library, from what I can tell.  The library "problem" that I
was referring to has to do with the code for certain functions in the math
library which do not perform optimally on the Alpha architecture and hence
slow down code which uses these functions; I do not think that the
library "problem" causes programs to die, only to run slower than if they
had been compiled, e.g. under Digitial Unix and linked to the Digital math
library.

-Olgun