Quanta-InsightII

jerome Baudry jerome at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 25 12:04:36 EST 1998

Kurt Hoffmann wrote:

> Can someone help me in order to make the right choice between
> two Software packages from MSI (http://www.msi.com/).
> They offer the Quanta software package as well as the
> InsightII package.  The Quanta package contains some tools
> which are also included in the insightII package (i.e. Charmm).
> The modules of the Insight package are more numerous, but
> I think that the software is licensed by module.
> Therefor I'm wondering what the reasons are for this?
> Are the main interfaces of different quality?
> Are there differences in prices?
> Is this due to legal reasons after a merger between software companies?
> Can anyone help me with this issue?
> Thanks in advance,
> Kurt

The choice really depends on what you want to do.
If you want to use CHARMM for molecular modeling, with sophisticated
features such as Langevin dynamics, Free energy perturbations,
constraints etc..you want to use quanta. Quanta is focussed on CHARMM,
it is almost a Charmm + GUI.

Insight has a lot of stuff, but the CHARMM module is poor compared to
quanta.

what do you want to do exactly ?
--
Jerome Baudry