workstation suited for molecular modeling

Bent Nagstrup Bent at
Tue Mar 21 05:50:20 EST 2000

bein wrote:
> POINTER (run on UNIX). But my boss said this workstation should be able to perform most
> used molecular modeling programs and GCG sequence search with inhouse database in the
> near future. Since I am not familiar in these fields, I'd like to ask what should I buy.

The obvious answer is that it depends on the software, since a lot of
software is only available as precompiled binaries for specific
platforms. I have no idea what is needed for your "inhouse databse",
but I do know that molecular modelling is either Silicon Graphics or

For Silicon Graphics you should consider Sybyl ( and
Insight ( - these are professional tools, and so is the

On a smaller budget, your best choice is probably getting a high-end
PC and using WhatIf ( and Modeller

Modeller will also run quite happily on a Silicon Graphics machine,
but WhatIf really prefers its Linux-box

hope this helps you a bit