Visualisation program

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 16 10:13:09 EST 2001

Ben Tristem wrote:

> I would like a fast, simple and effective 3D molecular visualisation
> program for the PC, preferably freeware. It's to help me visualise
> the molecules I am encountering in A-Level biology.

A few choices;

Swiss PDB Viewer: 	Comprehensive package, with every viewing
			option you could want (including stereo!), but a
			bit of a steep learning curve;

			http://www.expasy.ch/spdbv/

Rasmol:			Very simple, very quick, easy to use for basic
			visualisation.  No real accommodation for multiple
			structures, and many advanced features are through
			a command line interface.

			http://www.openrasmol.org/

Protein Explorer:	Web-based protein visualisation.  Simple interface
with
			good basic viewing features.  Can load any file from the PDB
			and also from a load disk.  Requires the Chime plugin and
			Netscape 4.x.

			http://www.umass.edu/microbio/chime/explorer/

Weblab Lite:		Free cut down version of Weblab viewer Pro.  Very pretty
			graphics in real time, but only basic viualisation options.
			Needs you to register to download, but it's free once you've
			done that.
								http://www.accelrys.com/viewer/register/lite/viewerlite_reg.php

I'm sure that one of these should meet your needs!

	TTFN

	Simon.