Visualisation program

Raphaël Chaleil r.chaleil at
Mon Aug 20 14:11:06 EST 2001

The question was about a freeware program to show biological molecules for A
level students. For sure Rasmol has a lot of limitations but frankly i'm
using it daily in my work when i want quick visualisation of structures, for
more advanced functions i use some other softwares, like SPDBV, Molmol, VMD,
Prepi or and some commercial softwares; but Rasmol is the best for basic
functions, i know many people hate the command line but it's really good and
in most cases the menu is sufficient.
May i suggest a program of my own for PC under win at
it is not as fast as Rasmol, but is OpenGL based, and unfortunately the menu
options are in French.
I think Rasmol is really the best for basic use.
Raphael Chaleil
Biomolecular Modelling Laboratory
Imperial Cancer Research Fund
44, Lincoln's Inn Fields