Unusual hyphal branching

Robert Brambl brambl at graz.cbs.umn.edu
Wed Dec 1 19:01:54 EST 1993

In article <CHC2yJ.A15 at massey.ac.nz> Richard Johnson
<R.D.Johnson at Massey.ac.nz> writes:
> we have observed unusual hyphal branching within the host of Acremonium
> lolii (an endophyte of ryegrass)  isolates which show variant growth
> forms when grown in culture. This frequent branching, with odd
> pertuberances is not observed in the parental strain which gave rise to
> these variants.
>
> Has anyone observed a change in any plant/fungus interaction where the
> fungal hyphae are either branching more than normal or they show odd
> pertuberances.

Many plant seed lectins (and presumably those in vascular tissues) will
cause growth distortions in fungal hyphae, possibly because they disrupt
the synthesis or deposition of the wall fabric. In some cases, multiple,
adventitious branches appear, and in other cases the hyphal tips swell or
become knobby.  These effects can be reversed or blocked by the addition
of low molecular weight sugar haptens of these lectins.

Hope this helps.

Bob