Fungus fair nomenclature review

Nathan J. Wilson nathan at cse.ucsc.edu
Fri Nov 12 20:05:01 EST 1993

The science advisors of the Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz, Gregg
Ferguson and myself, are currently reviewing our use of taxonomic
nomenclature in preparation for our up coming Fungus Fair the weekend
of Jan 8 & 9.  I have included in this note a list of changes
currently under consideration, and the complete list of names used for
the species identified at the last fair.  We are actively seeking
advice on the appropriateness of the proposed changes as well as any
other changes that we should consider.  Personal opinions or
preferences are welcome, though we would appreciate any references you
can provide.

We would also like to start using author citations with our species
names.  Our principal reference is Arora's "Mushrooms Demystified"
which is sadly lacking in this information making this transition
difficult.  The current plan is to consult other reference books that
include this information and if the descriptions appear match those in
Arora, to adopt the author citation used.  I would also find a
detailed description of the meaning of such citations helpful.  For
example, from Miller's "Mushrooms of North America" what does '(Pers.
ex Fr.) Kummer' mean versus say 'Vitt. ex Fr.' or '(Fr.) Karst'?  I
understand that Fr. = Fries, Pers. = Persoon, and Vitt. = Vittadini,
but what are the parentheses and 'ex' (presumably latin for 'from')
all about?  Any advice on how to go about correctly using or finding
this information would be of help.

Thanks in advance,
   -------------------------    _________
         Nathan Wilson         <_________>
      nathan at cse.ucsc.edu          |_|        It is no dream!
      Co-Science Advisor          /___\    Matsutake are growing
   Minister of Local Forays        | |        On the belly of the mountain.
Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz    \_/ *83--                -Shigetaka

Changes considered and current plans:
Naematoloma to Hypholoma (plan to change):
Hypholoma aurantiaca
Hypholoma fasciculare

Lepiota to Leucoagaricus (change):
Leucoagaricus naucinus

Lepiota to Macrolepiota (*NO* change):
Macrolepiota rachodes

Leptonia to Entoloma (change):
Entoloma cyanea
Entoloma gracilipes
Entoloma parva

Boletus to Chalciporus (change):
Chalciporus piperatus

Boletus to Xerocomus (change):
Xerocomus chrysenteron
Xerocomus dryophilus
Xerocomus subtomentosus
Xerocomus truncatus

Boletus to Boletellus (don't know what to do with this one!)
Boletellus zelleri

Boletus to Pulveroboletus (*NO* change):
Pulveroboletus flaviporus

Orange yellow milked Lactarius:
Are the following species really distinct and how can you tell them apart
macroscopically?
Lactarius chrysorheus (pileus not zonate)
Lactarius vinaceorufescens (pileus zonate, darker?)
Lactarius xanthogalactus (pileus zonate, lighter?)

Complete species from 1993 Santa Cruz Fungus Fair:
Agaricus albolutescens
Agaricus arvensis
Agaricus bernardii
Agaricus californicus