Subscription?

PEPERA at BEAST.CS.HH.AB.COM PEPERA at BEAST.CS.HH.AB.COM
Thu Oct 14 11:56:35 EST 1993

>To: mycology at net.bio.net
>From: do377 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Eric B Peterson)
>Date: 10 Oct 93 17:58:36 GMT
>

>........ Does anyone know of other discussion groups or network
>publications dealing with mycology? (Besides MICRONET)
>Thanks for any info,
>--
>***Doing strange things in the name of art AND science...
>Eric B. Peterson (Ick)            :?  petersone at axe.humboldt.edu
>895 7th Street                    :)  Ickster at garbo.uwasa.fi
>Arcata CA 95521    (707)822-0213  %|  do377 at cleveland.freenet.edu

	Eric,
		This is becoming a discussion topic within the North American
Mycological Association. NAMA is trying to link the various members together
electronically. NAMA posed a general question to the members to find out
who had EMAIL addresses and how much interest there is in the subject. The
# of people responding was low (about 22 people) but, I suspect many people
would participate if they had someone to guide them. After all, the membership
is primarily interested in Mycology and most members don't know much about
networking. Anyway, specifically regarding your request, I have seen
discussions on USENET concerning Mycology or Mycophagy on

Rec.backcountry
sci.biology
rec.cooking
rec.gardens

You won't see this very often but, If you want to start a discussion, the
Mycophiles will come out of the lignin and respond.

Also, there is a newly formed "Myconet" in the San Jose dialing area. The
number is 408 866-9247. The originators of this BBS are Blaise Pabon and
Christian Smith. The plan is to give clubs a free subscription for newsletter
transmittal and to keep subscription costs low to make it widely available.
I haven't talked to these folks yet so, I don't know if they plan on mirroring
their discussions to any groups on the INTERNET. (I'm not calling San Jose
from Cleveland on a dial-up modem !)
I have heard that some Mycophiles exist on Compuserves "outdoor" forum.

You might contact Judy Roger from NAMA for more info as it becomes available.
Her electronic address is CIS#177000,670.

Best of Luck,

Jerry Pepera
Ohio Mushroom Society
pepera at iccgcc.decnet.ab.com