phytohormones and fungi

A. Parsons mbpcr at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 06:45:22 EST 1993

In article <2932k9$oiq at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> do377 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Eric B Peterson) writes:

>I am looking for information/sources on hormonal interactions
>between plants and fungi.  The main direction I am looking
>is toward fungal pathogens causing tumefactions, faciculations,
>or other forms of increased growth, but anything would be
>welcome.
>     Thanks in advance,
>--
>***Doing strange things in the name of art AND science...
>Eric B. Peterson (Ick)            :?  petersone at axe.humboldt.edu
>895 7th Street                    :)  Ickster at garbo.uwasa.fi
>Arcata CA 95521    (707)822-0213  %|  do377 at cleveland.freenet.edu

A prime examplr is the infection of rice shoots with the fungus Giberella fujikuroi
which gave its name to the phytohormone (growth promoter) giberellin.

Another classic (though not a fungus) is the tumour gall producing Agrobacterium
tumifasciens.  The infection is by the expression of plasmid encoded genes from
the bacteria which code for cytokinins and auxins.

This is well documented in the plant growth regulator literature.

Hope this helps

Tony p>