Oyster Mushroom Reaction

Jim Veselenak veselena at eagle.sangamon.edu
Wed Oct 13 10:04:39 EST 1993


aphrk at Msu.oscs.montana.edu wrote:
> Hello:  I had a friend who ate a few "tree oyster mushrooms" raw and
> had a bad experience after ten minutes... vomiting, itching ears and
> throat, a feeling of "spaciness" etc.  She went to the hospital where
> the docs gave her a shot of antihistimine.  
> 
> My question is... Though I suspect wild mushrooms are not meant to be
> eaten raw, was this a common response?  an allergic response? etc.

Yes, you are right, it is not recommended that wild mushrooms be eaten raw. 
Some even suggest this for storebought mushrooms.

The mushroom was probably Pleurotus ostreatus

--
   ___________________________________________________________________
  |                              |                                    |
  |        Jim Veselenak         | There are old mushroom hunters     |
  |   Sangamon State University  |   There are bold mushroom hunters  |
  |  veselena at eagle.sangamon.edu |     But there are no old, bold     |
  |        217-786-7346          |        mushroom hunters!           |
  |______________________________|____________________________________|



More information about the Mycology mailing list