Oyster Mushroom Reaction
MULROY at EPISAS.EPI.WISC.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:02:19 EST 1993
In <00973F27.CE666300 at Msu.oscs.montana.edu> aphrk at Msu.oscs.montana.edu writes:
> Hello: I had a friend who ate a few "tree oyster mushrooms" raw and
> had a bad experience after ten minutes... vomiting, itching ears and
> throat, a feeling of "spaciness" etc. She went to the hospital where
> the docs gave her a shot of antihistimine.
> My question is... Though I suspect wild mushrooms are not meant to be
> eaten raw, was this a common response? an allergic response? etc.
> Sorry, I do not have the latin name of the mushroom...bummer, eh?
> Thanks, Robyn Klein
Apparently, the spores of tree oysters contain a powerful sensitizer which is
destroyed upon heating. Simply being in a poorly ventilated room with the
fresh mushrooms has caused near-anaphalactiod shock in some people.
I saw another follow-up where the poster was poisoned by _Armilarellia Mellea_
group mushrooms. -They were lucky they only ate a couple of bites.
It is best to never eat raw mushrooms of _any_ species, although I understand
_Fistulina Hepatica_ can be consumed in this manner.
I always thought that mushrooms grew in butter and pepper?
More information about the Mycology