kombucha?

Otto Lang mst1 at io.org
Tue Sep 28 07:50:16 EST 1993

At our Fungi Fair, an annual public event of the Mycol. Soc. of Toronto,
a visitor of second generation Russian-Canadian background asked for the
name of the fungus which is used to make a soft drink called kom-bucha.

It is described as a mildly fermented result of the following:
2 cups of black tea, 20 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar and an
unspecified amount of "starter liquid", which contains components
of this fungus, that was saved from a previous batch ( I guess,
similar to sour dough for making bread)

Is anyone familiar with this?
Thank you
--