N.crassa Genomic DNA

Robert Brambl brambl at graz.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:23:45 EST 1994

In article <9404040443.AA03651 at pclsp2> marek at PCLSP2.KUICR.KYOTO-U.AC.JP
(Marek Tchorzewski) writes:

> Hello Netters,
>
>      I have just started working on Neurospora crassa, so I am
> completely new on this field.
>
> Well, what I need, is suitable protocol for genomic DNA
> isolation from Neurospora crassa.
>
> I appreciate very much any suggestion in this matter.
>
> Marek

You should evaulate the procedure refined and/or developed by the
Metzenberg lab.  It works well for preparation of many dozens of samples
of high quality DNA simultaneously from diverse types of mutant strains.
The crucial point is that the unfrozen samples *must* be thoroughly dried
according to instructions.  Reference:  Neurospora Newsletter (1981) 28:20
and (1982) 29: 27. This lab also prepared an unpublished 1989 update and
synopsis which you could obtain by writing to Dr. Robert L. Metzenberg;
Department of Biomolecular Chemistry; University of Wisconsin; 1300
University Avenue; Madison, Wisconsin 53706 (Telephone (608) 262-1507.