Taxy 0.0 is available now!

Nathan J. Wilson nathan at cse.ucsc.edu
Fri Apr 15 14:05:01 EST 1994

Well, I have finally got my taxonomic database system to the state that
it is ready for its first public release.  I've included a copy of the
README file below that includes the information needed to download a
copy of it.

Enjoy!
-Nathan

------

Welcome to Taxy 0.0!

Taxy is a database system for helping with biological taxonomic
identification.  For those of you which didn't understand the last
sentence think of it as a computerized field guide.

The goal of the current version is to get people working on creating a
database of mushroom species.  All work done with the system is
expected to remain freely available in keeping with the goal of the
project to create a system for sharing fungal information freely and
to permit easy database expansion and interchange by interested users.
The project is part of my computer science masters thesis.

The 0.0 release includes:

- A Taxy database emphasizing macroscopic characteristics.  This database
  currently has 170 features and contains partial information for about
  50 species of fungi.

- Support for creating, browsing and editing Taxy databases.
  Taxy is designed to support any type of taxonomic information so,
  for example, it should be possible for an interested person to create
  a database of bird or plant descriptions.

- An on-line help system.  This is the only form of documentation currently
  available.

- Executables for the Apple Macintosh, Sun SPARC, and IBM PCs.  (Source
  code is available upon request, though I would prefer to wait for the
  next release to distribute source unless you are interested in actually
  helping to extend the system.)

  All versions are available for anonymous ftp from the machine:
	ftp.cse.ucsc.edu
  in the directory:
	taxy

  The mac version is a binhexed, StuffIt archive
	dist.mac/Taxy.sit.hqx

  The SPARC version is availble either as a gzipped, tar archive:
	dist.sun/taxysun.tar.gz
  Or as the files:
	dist.sun/taxy
	dist.sun/deep.db
	dist.sun/help/*
	dist.sun/comments/*

  The IBM version is availble either as a gzipped, tar archive:
	dist.pc/taxypc.tar.gz
  Or as the files:
	dist.pc/taxy
	dist.pc/deep.db
	dist.pc/help/*
	dist.pc/comments/*

This release does *not* (but the second release will) include:

- A useful searching facility for actually doing identification with
  the system.  This part of the project is still under construction.

- Automatic merging functions for combining multiple existing databases.

- Features for describing the microscopic aspects of fungi and a more
  complete treatment of features related to Ascomycetes and Gasteromycetes.
  (Although the truly ambitious could add these features themselves.)

- A general scripting system for creating database specific commands for
  entering information.

If you are interested in participating in any way please drop me a
note via email or call me at: (408)423-3773.  If you wish to help
extend the database, please contact me so I can arrange a set of
species for you to work on so effort is not duplicated.

         Nathan Wilson         <_________>
      nathan at cse.ucsc.edu         _|_|_       It is no dream!
      Co-Science Advisor          \___/    Matsutake are growing
   Minister of Local Forays        | |        On the belly of the mountain.
Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz    \_/ *83--                -Shigetaka