close 5' ends

Doug Rhoads DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Thu Apr 28 16:13:44 EST 1994

>To:             mycology at net.bio.net
>From:           JPITKIN at msu.edu ("John.Pitkin")
>Subject:        close 5' ends
>Date sent:      28 Apr 1994 13:04:39 -0700

>   We have recently mapped the 5' ends of two linked genes which are both
>involved in HC-toxin production in Cochliobolus carbonum.  These genes are
>transcribed from opposite DNA strands, and are only 412 bp apart.  Given the
>"average" size of filamentous fungal promoters, these genes are remarkably
>close together.  Does anyone know of other such close genes/promoters?  The
>only other example I know of is the qa cluster of N. crassa, and I think the
>closest genes in this cluster are c. 1 kb apart.
>

>  Thank you
>John Pitkin
>MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
>Michigan State University
>e-mail: JPITKIN at MSU.EDU

The genes for ribosomal protein S24 and L46 are divergently transcribed
and are less than 630 bp apart in S. cerevisiae.
Doug Rhoads                  || Dept. of Biological Sciences
drhoads at mercury.uark.edu     || 601 Science Engineering
drhoads at uafsysb.uark.edu     || University of Arkansas
501-575-3251                 || Fayetteville, AR 72701