close 5' ends

Matthew Sachs msachs at ADMIN.OGI.EDU
Thu Apr 28 15:37:51 EST 1994

>   We have recently mapped the 5' ends of two linked genes which are both
>involved in HC-toxin production in Cochliobolus carbonum.  These genes are
>transcribed from opposite DNA strands, and are only 412 bp apart.  Given the
>"average" size of filamentous fungal promoters, these genes are remarkably
>close together.  Does anyone know of other such close genes/promoters?  The
>only other example I know of is the qa cluster of N. crassa, and I think the
>closest genes in this cluster are c. 1 kb apart.
>  Thank you
>John Pitkin
>MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
>Michigan State University
>e-mail: JPITKIN at MSU.EDU

Chow, CM and RajBhandary, UL (1993) Developmental regulation of the gene
for formate dehydrogenase in Neurospora crassa. J. Bacteriol. 175:

fdh and leu-5 are transcribed from opposite strands; they are approximately
0.6 kb apart.

Matthew Sachs
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone