Casing variables

Geoff.Tennant TennentG at micr.unp.ac.za
Thu Aug 4 04:15:24 EST 1994

I am a plant pathology student at Natal university in South Africa,
and one aspect of my honours project is to investigate various casing media
for the production of the white button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus.  I am
mainly investigating composted pine bark mixes with Canadian sphagnum peat
but was wondering whether any other media have been successful.  Air-filled
porosity and water holding capacity are the two most important physical
properties in the casing layer and data on these properties would also be
appreciated.

Geoff Tennant
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa