Ergosterol Bioassay

Brandon.McGugan McGugan at micr.unp.ac.za
Fri Aug 5 05:25:42 EST 1994

Has anyone worked on a ergosterol bioassay for fungal biomass determination
in soil? I have a few papers on this topic but I would like to communicate
with someone who has hands-on experience with this bioassay.
I intend using methanol or ethanol and ultra-sonication for the extraction.
The soil I'm extracting from is contaminated with a mixture of petroleum
oils.
Some of the lighter oil fractions  will come off in the process, therefore
the sample will have to be cleaned up before injection into the HPLC. I
intend using a Sep-Pak solid phase extraction cartridge (C18).
Will this do the job?
Can soil samples be strored under refrigeration/ frozen  without
significant loss of ergosterol say for 2-3 months?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Brandon
University of Natal