Monches Woods, Wisc.

Geoff.Tennant TennentG at micr.unp.ac.za
Tue Aug 16 02:57:30 EST 1994

In article <Rs9TEhu.rbaber at delphi.com> Ron Baber <rbaber at delphi.com> writes:
>From: Ron Baber <rbaber at delphi.com>
>Subject: Re: Monches Woods, Wisc.
>Date: Sat, 13 Aug 94 12:22:30 -0500

>Thanks for the post on Monches Woods.  Re:Edulis, they are of course one of
>the
>best edible.  I"m reluctant, though, to give a discription due to the
>possibility of a possible dangerous misunderstanding.  There are several toxic
>Boletes that are a little b
>ons and photos.  Also, try to find an experienced 'shroomer to help you
>identifythem.  Good luck and good hunting.
>

>?

Dear Ron,

In South Africa, no poisonous boletes are known.  This, of course, does not
mean that they do not occur here.  I know of Boletus satanas, but what are
the other poisonous boletes?  'Shrooming is definately a minority sport
here, with our first book (guide) on local mushrooms only released this
year.  This makes me wonder whether they do occur in South Africa, and if
they do, I'd very much like to know what they look like!  An example of our
incomplete knowledge of fungal diversity is that a new Psilocybe sp. (P.
natalensis) was recently discovered in S.A.  I have to agree with you
though, boletes are definately in a different class when it comes to
edibility.  As you northern hemisphere mycophagists go into winter, we in
the southern hemisphere are going into our rainy, and hence mushroom
season (ha, ha!).  Hang on, when is your mushroom season? (does it rain in
your winter?- of course it does- silly me).  Anyway, our winters are
extremely dry, and 'shroomers avidly await the onset of spring.  Of
particular note in spring here is the beefsteak mushroom (Termitomyces
umkowaanii or "kowe"- pronounced 'core wear').  This fungus has a symbiosis
with termite colonies and can be as large as 1 meter in diameter!
Furthermore they are a quite superb eating mushroom.  Can you northern
hemispherians match this?

Geoff Tennant
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa