Black Yeasts?

John A Gerrath jagerrat at uoguelph.ca
Wed Aug 24 21:44:28 EST 1994

Peter Herman x5495 (rpeter at nmsu.edu) wrote:
: In article <33bruj$728 at nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca> jagerrat at uoguelph.ca (John A Gerrath) writes:
: >[SNIPPED]
: >I'm getting some types [BLACK YEASTS] exclusively from lichen fruiting
bodies,

: [SNIPPED AGAIN]

: I suspect that your isolates from lichens are on the lichen rather
: than the fungal partner in the lichen.

Yep.  I didn't figure that they were actually part of the symbiosis, a
parasite was more along my thought lines.  I do find most of the yeasts
everywhere (actually most often BELOW the surface, but perhaps they just
show up better because the rock screens out most other things) but I find
one particular type almost always on the yellow fruiting bodies of a
crustose microlichen (no ident. on it, sorry).  Are Black Yeasts generally
like other yeasts in their habits and ecology?  I gather from your post
that they do not have any symbiotic attachments with anything.  I may be
a Botanist (I am), but these fungi are making me crazy with questions!