abstract: Aspergillus developmental mutants

Tom Adams TOM at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Aug 30 11:00:08 EST 1994

Genetic Requirements for Initiating Asexual Development in Aspergillus
nidulans
Jenny Wieser, Bee Na Lee, John W. Fondon III, and Thomas H. Adams
Department of Biology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX  77843
Phone: 	409-845-1468, email:	TOM at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Current Genetics (1994). In Press.

Abstract

	Conidiation in the filamentous ascomycete Aspergillus nidulans requires
activation of brlA, a well characterized transcriptional regulator of genes
that are induced specifically during asexual development.  We have isolated
and characterized developmental mutations in six loci designated fluG, flbA,
flbB, flbC, flbD, and flbE that result in defective development and reduced
brlA expression.  These mutants grow indeterminately to produce masses of
aerial hyphae resulting in formation of cotton-like colonies with a "fluffy"
morphology.  The results of growth and epistasis tests involving all
pairwise combinations of fluffy mutations indicate complex hierarchical
relationships among these loci.  We suggest one model to explain these
genetic interactions and propose that there are multiple mechanisms for
activating brlA.

Tom Adams
Department of Biology
Texas A&M University