DNA per cell

J. Pat Martinez martinez at puccini.crl.umn.edu
Tue Aug 30 20:47:24 EST 1994

I've never used the perchloric acid method for determining DNA quantity
per cell.  Furthermore, I'm unaware of the time and the expertise needed
for this technique or the accuracy of the method.  But one method that
came to mind, was Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE).  If the fungi
you are interested in have a known ploidy and their chromosomes are
readily resolved by PFGE, then perhaps this would be a way of estimating
the amount of DNA per cell.

By the way, why the hesitance to use a method based on staining nuclei
and/or flow cytometry?

Pat M.