uencoding

Buxton Frank buxton at fmi.ch
Wed Aug 31 06:41:56 EST 1994

	I guess I am just ignorant, primitive or something but I can
	not read uencoded messages. Now I know that I can probably find
	the software to do this, probably free from some server or other
	on Ethernet but maybe I happen to have better ways of spending my
	time. Can anyone tell me what are the overiding advantages of
	sending messages to the bulletin board in this form? NOTE the
	advantages would have to be quite dramatic as they have to offset
	the cost of all the recipients finding the software installing it and
	getting used to using it!

	If the advantage are really not that great why don't we just go
	back to the good old fashioned method of sending straight text
	files as these can be read easily by anyone, after all I thought
	the object was to convey useful information not to show how
	clever we are at playing with our computers.

	Frank Buxton
	buxton at fmi.ch
	Tel: (Switzerland) 61 696 16 61
	FAX: (Switzerland) 61 696 93 01
	K681-307, Ciba AG, CH4002, Basel, Switzerland