Heat resistant bacteria???

Paszczynski Andrzej andrzej at UIDAHO.EDU
Tue Dec 27 13:18:08 EST 1994

On Sat, 24 Dec 1994 VMUTIL at IDUI1.CSRV.UIDAHO.EDU wrote:

> To: mycology at net.bio.net
> From: stamets1 at aol.com (Stamets 1)
> Subject: heat-resistant bacteria fouling pure cultures of fungi
> Date: 24 Dec 1994 15:36:32 -0500
> Sender: root at newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
> Fellow Mycologists
>
> On heat resistant bacteria fouling pure cultures:
>
> Just what could be a helpful note. Most of you making culture
> media for fungi autoclave for 30-45 minutes at 15 psi (1kg/cm-2).
> Most use wisely use filtered/purified water. I usually do not.
> With the massive rains we have had here in the
>  past 3 weeks - the worst flooding in 75 years -
> the ground water has become
> unusually rich with sediments/nutrients,
>  causing a bacterial bloom, an order of magnitude
>  greater than that which I have seen in years.
>  Running parallel trials, I was shocked to find
> that malt extract agar media "spontaneously"
>  contaminated with bacteria after 2 1/2 hours of autoclaving.
>  The contaminating agents appeared 3 weeks after pouring.
>  So goes the concept of "sterilization".
>  Clearly, the more contaminants at the front end of the
> process, the more which survive, post treatment.
>  We have had to return to osmosis-filtered water,
>  which, for a production facility is not without its limitations.
>
> A friend in Europe, Peter Oei, author of several books on
> mushroom cultivation, e-mailed me with what appears to be
> a similar  problem. Collectively, we have more than 40 years
> of culture experience. This is the first time we both have
> seen this. I can only wonder - Could bacteria with greater
>  heat tolerance be evolving? Is world-wide ground water contamination and
> nutrient flow creating a new environment for the evolution of
> these bacteria?
>
>    How many physcians really comprehend what "sterilization"
> means. Most hospital disposal programs for destruction of pathogens
> would not compare favorably with my experiences.Do I sound alarmist?
> Are my concerns unjustified, unscientifically based. I invite your
> comments - especially from bacteriologists.
>
>      On another matter, have any of you heard about
>  "gene migration" of antibiotic-resistant properties of bacteria
>  which have not been directly to antibiotics exposed?
>
>     Evolution is a powerful force. I can only wonder at what
> unwitting participation humans, laboratories, hospitals, day
> care centers, and immunized populations play in the evolution
> of new generation pathogens.
>
>  On that hopeful note, I remain humbled by the power of the
> invisible landscape.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> paul stamets

Friendly suggestion,
It is very easy to draw conclusion like above. I suggest to check
performance of your autoclave by using internal mercury termometer. You
can by autoclave termometer from VWR.

Andrzej Paszczynski University of Idaho
Andrzej at crow.csrv.uidaho.edu