Jobs for Myco PhDs?

Kathleen Bowers szbowers at hamlet.ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 13 08:31:01 EST 1994

I am currently an undergraduate student working on GE.  Although I
haven't had any practical experience and only slightly more of an
introduction to the technical and scientific side of mycology, I know
that that is where I want to be.  I will start on my botany major at UC
Davis (in California) in a couple semesters and I was wondering what I
can expect in the future.

What is there for a PhD in mycology besides professorship (not that I'm
ruling this out, I'm just trying to assess the possibilities)?  What
should I do in the mean-time?  I have been looking for any type of
internship related to mycology (or even botany), but with no luck.  Does
anyone know of someone I can contact about this?

I am fascinated (and always have been) by mushrooms and their fleshy
fungi friends, and I am very excited at the prospect of studying them as
a career.  I am also eager to learn of other people who share my interest
in them.  I have the addresses of a few organizations revolving around
mycology, but I have yet to find a comprehensive list or someone who can
give me some feedback.

Is there anyone out there who can help me out?  Take me under their
wing?  Or push me in the right direction?  I would greatly appreciate any
response that I can get from this post.  THANK YOU in advance!

Please send all responses to my E-MAIL address as I don't find the chance
to check my newsgroups very often.

--
         __o
         \<,