Penicillium mycology

Moulliard Moulliard at mbla.ucl.ac.be
Tue Jul 5 04:10:20 EST 1994

Hi,

I have read in an interesting publication of S.W. Peterson in the Fungal
Holomorph book "Molecular genetic assessment of relatedness of Penicillium
subgenus Penicillium" that is was very difficult by the study of the ITS
and D2 region to distinguish species of Penicillium subgenus Penicillium.
The author says in his publication "There are so few nucleotide
substitutions distinguishing species in subgenus Penicillium, using this
particular region of rDNA (region D2), that relationships within the
subgenus can not be clearly established.     ........    the relationships
of species within subgenus Penicillium cannot be inferred from the ls-rDNA
and ITS data obtained to date".

I would like to know if they are others interesting regions to explore to
solve this problem?

Too, I would like to know if it's better to sequence directly the rRNA (by
the Reverse Transcriptase) or the rDNA (sequencing complementary DNA
strands) ?

With my best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

--
Moulliard Charles
Mycotheque de l'Universite Catholique de Louvain (MUCL)
Email: Moulliard at mbla.ucl.ac.be