Mushroom references

James Jobe jobe at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:01:47 EST 1994

	I have been reading about mushrooms for about five years now.  I own
quite a few references myself.  My problem is, I have noted many differences
between each of them.  Expecially when it comes to the range or edibility of
certain species.

	It seems to me that most authors of North American Mushroom guides are
from the California area.  That is great for people in that area, but I am
from Ohio.  I would like to know if anyone could point me in the right
direction to find any of the following:

	a complete reference guide of mushrooms of Ohio and/or the Mid-west
	region.

	the name and address of a reputable mail order catalog devoted to
     	mushrooms.

	the name, and where I might find the most comprehensive book of North
 	American mushrooms ever puplished.

The following is a list of the better references I already own.  If anyone has
any knowlege of their credibility please comment.

	Mushrooms of North America by Roger Phillips

	The Audubon Society guide to North Anmerican Mushrooms.

	Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora

Thank you,

James Jobe
4181c Appian Way W.