roots and ectomycorrhizae and estimates of...

Robert P. Crook crook at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 12:29:52 EST 1994

I need info on how to get estimates of what proportion of biomass of a fine
root is actually fungal biomass.  I have been sampling a loblolly pine
plantation root b-mass for the past twelve months by a sequential
coring methodology.  The experimental treatments for the pine plantation
are the presence or absence of fertilization and/or irrigation arranged
in a two by two factorial design.  So if I can get a reliable method for
analyzing my ectomycorrhizal roots for ergosterol or chitin or... then I
can get an idea of how these treatments and seasonal patterns affect
fungal biomass in a loblolly plantation in the south eastern U.S.
	At present I am at North Carolina State University in Raleigh
North Carolina; my e-mail address is robert_crook at ncsu.edu
	Thanks for any help.