computer software servers

Doug Rhoads DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Tue May 3 10:45:50 EST 1994

>To:             mycology at net.bio.net
>From:           sannis at uoguelph.ca (Seanna Annis)
>Subject:        computer software servers
>Date sent:      26 Apr 1994 18:29:00 GMT

>There was a recent reply to a question about codon usage in fungi, that
>suggested obtaining the program SEQAID.  What are some popular mol.bio.
>computer software servers?  I am very new on the internet and so am only
>slowly finding my way around.  I found the FASTA program recently, but I
>don't know where to find other useful programs like SEQAID.  Would some
>more experienced users pass along their knowledge please.
>
>Thanks for any help.  Seanna

I would try connecting to ftp.bio.indiana.edu
Don Gilbert has done a wonderful job there and has not only some good
shareware software for download but also a good gopher-hole for Genbank
name search and retrieval.  If you don't have a copy of Gopher I would
suggest you stop off in the gopher software directories and pick up a
copy.  If you aren't hard-wired into the internet then you should at
least get a gopher client onto your local network machine.  Sure makes
surfing the internet easier.  By the way.  SEQAID is for DOS only and is
available for ftp from IUBio at ftp.bio.indiana.edu

Doug Rhoads                  || Dept. of Biological Sciences
drhoads at mercury.uark.edu     || 601 Science Engineering
drhoads at uafsysb.uark.edu     || University of Arkansas
501-575-3251                 || Fayetteville, AR 72701