Lepiota lutea (Leucocoprinus birnbaumii)

BrianMc brianmc at aol.com
Fri May 6 12:56:19 EST 1994

In article <1994May5.110035.23358 at freenet.victoria.bc.ca>,
aceska at freenet.Victoria.BC.CA (Adolf Ceska) writes:

>>Somebody brought me Lepiota lutea (=Leucocoprinus birnbaumii)
>>growing in a house plant pot. I have never seen it before

According to my source material (Arora's "Mushrooms Demystified" et. al.)
L.lutea is a common greenhouse mushroom, fruiting indoors most anytime, in
flower pots and planter boxes.  In the wild, it is normally a summer mushrooms.
 Apparently it's poisonous to some people.  The yellow color and striate cap
set it apart from other Lepiotas.  The exact taxonomy seems somewhat confused.
Pseudonyms abound.