evolution of fungi/plants

JASON K. DOBRANIC c0hx at UNBSJ.CA
Wed May 18 16:37:54 EST 1994

Hi,
	Here is part of an e-mail message I received from Dr. Atsatt a few
months ago. I was preparing a seminar on the new theories of plant evolution
and questioned him on if there was much debate to his theory. I would
appreciate any comments you would have. I hope Dr. Atsatt does not
disapprove of my use of his message.

Hi Jason. No there are as yet no papers that argue against my theory.
Richard Jorgensen, on the other hand, has developed a flavonoid "spin"
that he uses to support the general concept (Bio Systems, Jan?? 1994). The
best way to argue against the theory is to ask "why cant someone demonstrate
the presence of fungal genes in the plant nucleus"? If the transfer
occurred recently (at about the time plants diverged from green algae, one
should find genes with considerable homology to extant fungi.In fact, there
are many similar genes, but they are usually highly conserved and thus not
very convincing.My current opinion is that the interaction occurred very
early,during the origin (divergence) of fungi and green algae, probably well
over a billion years ago.Thus most of the transferred genes will not show
high homology. Truth, or cunning copout? We"ll see. There are more data
comming...but it may be a while. Cheers, P. Atsatt.