Cordyceps capitata

Richard W. Kerrigan rwk at sylvanres.com
Tue Nov 8 09:17:23 EST 1994

Cordyceps sinensis, I believe, is used medicinally in China and Japan.

Rick Kerrigan (rwk at sylvanres.com)

*****
Chris Schadt (gash at u.washington.edu) wrote:

: I am taking an general mycology course this quarter and we recently ran
: across this "truffle eating" fungus on the Olympic penninsula of
: Washington State.  Arora's book "Mushrooms Demystified" says it might
: possibly be worth eating, but he could find no literature on it.  My lab
: TA said he had read that it or another Cordyceps and the truffle host
: were used ritually (in Australia?).  My question for the newsgroup is:
: does anybody know of or have access to any references on the subject and
: Does the parasitic fungus or the truffle or the fungus and truffle or
: neither have hallucinogenic properties? Thanks for any responses.

:
:               /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing
:    /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
:   /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
:  //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
:  //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ gash at u.washington.edu |  almost like having another
:  //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ Botany Undergraduate  |  being."
:    ||    |    ||   |  Univ. of Washington   |   -D.H.Lawerence