Beware the red capped scaber stalk boletus

Ryan Sawby sawby871 at raven.csrv.uidaho.edu
Mon Nov 14 21:14:19 EST 1994

	Most guides describe the red capped scaber stalk, Leccinum
aurantiacum, as edible and choice.  I, however, have found this to be
untrue for myself.  My father and I grilled a beautiful specimen, along
with some freshly caught kokanee, in our camp after a great day of
fishing.  Pop, in his wisdom and general practice of avoiding boletes (he
had a bad run-in with boletus soup years past), elected not to try the
"delectable" treat.  The sliced mushroom fried quite nicely, adopting its
characteristic black and slimy texture.  It went down well with the fish,
too, for about the first two hours, that is.  What followed was not
something I ever want to repeat, I vomited every hour until dawn.  I
concluded, perhaps prematurely, that the mushroom I ate had disagreed
with me.  I have no desire to test my hypothesis further.  Pop and I
speculated that we might have some heritable sensitivity to some
boletus-specific chemical.  I do not want to test this hypothesis either,
and think it best to avoid boletes in the future.
	Of course I may have misidentified the mushroom, but I think it
unlikely.  L. aurantiacum has the red cap, black scabers on the stalk,
and characteristically stains first burgundy-red then purplish.  Consider
yourselves warned, I for one will stick with morels and shaggy manes for
awhile.

--
Ryan Sawby                     Encumbered forever by desire and ambition.