Re mushroom poisoning by Leccinum
lorelei at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Nov 16 08:46:38 EST 1994
Ryan -- tried to send this to you personally to your regular address; the
answer was refused by your server for some reason. This was in response
to your poisoning by the Leccinum.....
Dear Ryan -- You have my heartfelt sympathy -- and appreciation
for sharing your tale of woe. I suspect you are correct -- that you and
your dad share a sensitivity. However, more people need to be alerted
that not all mushrooms are safe to eat for everyone.
Incidentally, did you cook your mushroom thoroughly? (You might
have mentioned that but I access email via long-distance and don't want
to take the time to check what you said). We have found via the Oregon
Toxicology committee that in many instances undercooking is the culprit.
Mushrooms should generally be reduced by a considerable amount before
eating. One of the most consistent offenders is the Armillaria mellea
complex -- we had an instance in Oregon where twelve different people ate
from a very large collection of Armillaria. Eleven thgoroughly cooked
theirs and ate modest amounts. The gonzo guy who just lightly sauteed
his missed Thanksgiving dinner the next day because the sight of food was
more than he could stand. And we have had numerous cases where
Armillarias have been thrown into sauces or gravies at the last moment
after light sauteing, with unhappy results.
More information about the Mycology